3 Ways to Lighten The Load for Your In-House Cloud Management Team
'We’re live on SuccessFactors!' Congratulations. You’ve done it. You’re well on your way to the Cloud. Every day we see SuccessFactors Cloud HR projects go live successfully. But what’s next? Are you ready to keep up with constant innovation? Or are you struggling to stay current with frequent release cycles and upgrades?
Whether you have an in-house Cloud HR support team or you’re working with an external expert, maintaining Cloud HR applications can be a challenge and requires a thoughtful, service-oriented maintenance approach. Whether SuccessFactors is your main HRIS, or you’ve only set up a few modules, you will certainly need to make optimal use of it.
Your support ecosystem must be adapted to the SuccessFactors lifecycle requirements. This includes having effective and efficient SuccessFactors system administrators, key to guaranteeing flawless application support.
One option is to build an HR Center of Excellence (CoE) to serve as a community where subject matter experts (SMEs) can maintain a high level of competency in the various practices/modules the organization holds (Recruiting, Payroll, PMGM, Compensation). This community is a structured group that promotes collaboration, best practices, high-level support, training, and leadership development. It should be supported by a partner who will map their requirements into SuccessFactors configuration, and provide in-depth support and advanced processes such as Release Management, Refresh Management, User Management, and others.
Here are three ways you can lighten the load for your in-house Cloud HR management team.
- Extend your core support team with external experts ‘on tap’.
- SuccessFactors professionals are difficult to find, hire and retain, not to mention expensive.
- SuccessFactors experts require continuous training.
- Attrition requires management, given the difficulty in retaining people after they have completed certification training.
- Expertise in all SuccessFactors modules requires a significant number of certified consultants.
- Since SuccessFactors is not the core focus of most companies, career growth opportunities for SuccessFactors consultants is limited.
- Integration expertise (Boomi/HCI and SuccessFactors) is necessary for end-to-end support scenarios.
- Management effort and training are required, while maintenance service provisions governance, SLAs and KPIs out of the box.
- In-house training for SuccessFactors experts requires dedicated budget.
- Small scale of service delivery limits in-house experts’ career path and scope.
- Attrition severely disrupts stability of internal delivery due to small scale.
- Limited internal experience, knowledge and capacity disrupts effectiveness, timelines and results.
- On a pure internal model, management objectives are put at risk by internal resources, while supplementing internal capabilities enables peace of mind and flexibility.
- A large in-house SuccessFactors support team will always be inefficient from a cost perspective, compared with an external service support team.
- Target Opex year over year is difficult to predict due to a number of variables, including attrition (salary hikes), training, integration, tools and governance.
- Skills are expensive; it is simply impossible to have in-house certified consultants for every single module at a reasonable cost.
- Limited experience prevents value-added changes from being implemented.
- Gaps are ultimately bridged by third-party consultants if budget is available.
- High-cost in-house resources become resistant to change, and bureaucracy limits ROI.
In summary, rather than build an extensive team of difficult-to-find support experts or certified resources, build a Center of Excellence with a strong core team that understands the entire Cloud HR landscape and will help drive your strategy. Keep ‘on tap’ an external service provider who can help with surge demand and specialist requests, and who has the deep technical and integration domain knowledge to help you master the day-to-day transactional work. Only then will you be able to deliver to your employees a truly amazing Cloud experience.
More content on this topic? Watch our webinar 'HR Myth Busted: Cloud Apps Need Maintenance Too’, visit http://www.ngahr.com/successfactors Or download our brochure on Cloud Application Management for SuccessFactors.